Sunday, March 2, 2014

Las Vegas "Shoulda Been Me"




Credits: 

Director: Russell Perry
Writers: Jedd Levine, Vaughn Blake
DP: Fred Miller
Producer: Russell Perry
Gaffer/PA: Ian Leith

Why this script/concept? How does it reflect your vision as a commercial director?

This was one of the Spec Bank scripts I read that I immediately envisioned how it would look.

What was the casting process like?

I had recently edited a TV show that cast some local actors. I contacted a few of them, and chose one for the secondary character. For the lead I contacted a local casting agency who send   me some submissions. I was really happy with both actors which was critical since this spot needed strong performances.

How did you search for/lock a location?

In an effort to save money I just shot it in my apartment that I share with my fiancee Danielle and our cat Quita. 

How did you select your DP, crew?

I contacted a DP I had worked with recently, he was booked but he referred me to Fred Miller. He and I met and discussed the look of the spot and equipment. And I asked my friend Ian Leith to help out with as crew. I’ve known him for years and worked with him before. Since it was just 1 location I felt like I didn’t need a lot of people.

How did shooting go? Any challenges?

The shooting went great. The only thing is to make sure you have enough coverage. But I’m happy with the final result. I think it turned out great.

Tell us about editing and finishing.

Being an editor for 7 years I edited it myself. I was in communication with the writer of the spot. I shot and edited an alternate version, but we ultimately went with his original idea.

In retrospect, is there anything you would have done differently?

I probably would have asked 1 or maybe 2 more people to help out on crew. But everything worked out fine.

Any other thoughts.

I think the Spec Bank is a great way for people like me to build their reels. I look forward to shooting more!

No comments:

Post a Comment