Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pedigree "Alone"


Click here to watch. 

Credits

Writer - Alexander Valyukh
Director - Bennett Johnson
DP - Sacha Glastra Van Loon

Why this script/concept? How does it reflect your vision as a commercial director?

Concept is always key when building your commercial reel and the quality of the script was the main factor.  It had a clear punch line and structure.  I have mainly worked in the storytelling space/beautiful images but this spec helped broaden my portfolio showing that I wasn't pigeonholed to just those niches.

What was the casting process like?

The casting process was relatively indie.  My brother and girlfriend have both been trained as thespians and their looks were right for the vision.

How did you select your DP, crew?

I had a mutual friend with the DP and we were put in touch to make this ad as he is also interested in building his commercial reel.  He did a great job; it's lit beautifully and cleanly.  Sacha is currently at Met film school and brought some of his friends and collaborators to work as crew.  

How did shooting go? Any challenges?

Shooting went fine.  The only struggle was the timing we had in the supermarket.  We underestimated how long it would take to set-up and just got our takes before we were chucked out!

Tell us about editing and finishing.

I edited and graded the piece as I have some background in post-production.  We shot the ad on a 5d mkiii and were going to shoot with ML RAW capabilities.  However, as you can't playback with ML we just decided on using the standard video settings and applied the beautiful CINEMA picture style which enhances the cinematic quality of the camera. Lastly in the grade I used FILMCONVERT to give that added quality to the image which I think turned out well.

In retrospect, is there anything you would have done differently?

In retrospect I would have maybe edited to dog sequence running around the house a bit quicker and had him doing more activities. As an editor I have always aimed to shoot for the edit but getting some more coverage if you have the time is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment